Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Reality TV... Not Such a Reality


Television today is pretty much a visual melt down with reality show after reality show showcasing something that isn't really reality. Sounds like I'm talking in circles? Let me clear some things up.

Have you ever noticed that most of the reality shows normally cast "grown" women (and I use the term "grown" loosely) who do nothing but party, bitch and moan, and fight over irrelevant bullshit. In the words of Miss Evelyn Lozada of VH1's Basketball Wives, You're a non-motherfuckin' factor bitch

There is no realism to these shows. Where the hell is the substance? The education? Where are the real issues beside my man broke up with me, I can't afford the new YSL pumps and I'm sixteen, pregnant and think my little ass is grown. Now don't get me wrong, I was a teen mother but I also didn't glorify it. I do not regret my daughter but I'll tell anybody that having a child as a teenager is not cute. I didn't call into some cable network and pitch my pregnancy story to them. I think that's stooping kind of low to capitalize on your experience as a high school parent. But, I digress.

Reality Television needs to focus less on entertaining and more on educating. There are starving children, AID's epidemics, natural disasters and wars going on. Why is there never a huge focus on any of that besides a 10 o'clock news special that the public forgets within a week? The Sundance channel airs a docu-series called Brick City about the city of Newark, NJ and the struggles within the community and that's probably as real as it will ever get but even that leaves some of the major issues out. I'm a Brick City native and I know way more goes on than what the cameras show.

I personally feel as though if we as consumers and people supported the people around us instead of sending money overseas everytime they have a tragedy, maybe we could get some damn where. (NOTE: I support Haiti and Japan in their time of crisis but the United States has always been in a crisis and I've never seen any of them send us some damn relief. #imjustsaying) How about TV showing us that while we're sending monetary relief to others that we're also receiving some back to help rebuild places hit hardest by natural disasters?

Maybe I'm too much of an activist, maybe I'm exaggerating, or maybe you agree with me. Somebody get me the contact info for VH1 so we can start putting the REALity in reality TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment