Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Worth a Shot


I know, I know... I've been super neglectful. But not for nothing, you guys. The past couple of weeks have been so hectic and also eventful but I think I'm finally getting into the swing of things.

If you follow me on Twitter, you know I've been on a real serious #VoteYungMar campaign, flooding your timelines like crazy. I apologize, but I also want him to win this competition on time2grind.com (yes, this is a shameless plug to get you to vote.) so that he can get his demo heard by Warner Brothers/Bad Boy A&R Executives. Being that Mar is one of my best friends, it is only right that I want his dreams to come true because lately, I've been blessed enough to have part of mine come true.

Around the end of April, I just so happened to be reading through the different random tweets of my followers and friends when I saw something that just had ME written all over it: FEARLESS MAGAZINE IS LOOKING FOR NEW WRITERS. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US and of course, the email address followed. I was like hey, this is that chance I've been waiting for and as I opened up my Gmail account to send out this inquiry email, I stopped. I didn't have any previous writing experience outside of doing school papers, personal prose and blogging. I didn't have any clips to send in if they asked for them and I had no professional refrences besides my friends, family and teachers. I immediately got discouraged but with tear-filled eyes, I knew I needed advice from two of my best friends: Ta-Sha and Laura, often referred to as my Right and Left Hands respectively.

Ta-Sha all but cursed me out when I told her about the opportunity but was too scared to pursue it. After an hour long speech about my writing abilities, she hung up on me because she said I was stressing her and giving her gray hair before her time lol.

Laura is always like the more calmer, voice of reason for me and if you know Laura, you know her mind is full of little speeches. (She had to be a life coach or cheerleader in a past life, I swear :)) Once again, I was told that my writing abilities were up to par with published writers and there was no reason why I shouldn't inquire about the position.

So taking the advice of my two best friends who are more like sisters, I sent a short and simple inquire email telling them that I was interested in writing for the online publication and requesting to learn more about the position. A few days later, a woman emailed me back outlining what would be expected of me if I decided to take the position and also telling me that I wouldn't be paid. For a second, I was like wait a minute, a sista needs some money in her pockets but then I thought realistically and knew I needed the clips, the notoriety and the experience if I even wanted to move on and write for larger brands such as Vibe, XXL and The Source. So humbly, I agreed and took the job which brings me to the exact reason for this post.

Naeemah Campbell, my amazing editor took a chance on me. A regular girl with no previous writing experience of this magnitude who she never even heard of. I don't know what made Naeemah take a chance on me but I'm glad she did. With each article I do for Fearless Magazine, I'm expanding my brand as a writer as well as the Fearless brand. Naeemah took a chance on me and with each article I turn in, I try to prove that I was worth the shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment